Friday, February 15, 2013

24-Hour Media Use Log

Being apart of a very select few young Americans' in todays world without a Facebook account, I pride myself on trying to stray away from "technology addiction".  I wasn't always this way, you could say I was your typical teenager who played video games, spent an absurd amount of time on Facebook and other media outlets.  Then, I joined the Marine Corps, and was deployed to various deserts, stateside and internationally, for training and combat operations, to find myself "itching" for a way to connect with friends and family to kill the bordom the desert provides.

I prefaced this, in an attempt to enlighten you to my style of thinking, which is, technology should be used as a tool and not a lifestyle.  Take Super Storm Sandy as an example.  As I sat in my house without power, I had the time of my life.  A couple cocktails, boardgames, and stories of the past.  However, everyone else I talked to about their experience, said it was horrible, their phones died, couldn't get on the internet and OH MY GOD!  I believe everyone, should be forced into a month of life without technology...

Nonetheless, media is a powerful means to kill bordom and stay connected, and even with my strong assertions of technology, I myself, still had the TV on for the 4 hours of evening until bedtime, even though I wasn't actively watching.  I checked my cell phone almost every 15-20 minutes throughout the day.  Jammed out to the radio to and from school, as well as, a full hour playlist durning my workout session.

As it turns out, even if I pride myself on only using media outlets as a tool, I needed this tool often through the day.  This troubles me slightly, however, adapt and overcome as we often say in the Marines Corps.

No comments:

Post a Comment